Monday, June 12, 2006

Opening





The show opening went great. I got a lot of interesting feedback, although I felt like I was seeing it all for the first time as well. I met some good folks, the Amazing Hancock Brothers. The had a ton of energy and great prints.

The project is a comment on the prevalence of 'top-down' design projects dealing with the rebuilding of New Orleans after the 2005 Hurricane season and a critique of the relevance of these projects to those affected.

The original project was to interview a small group of individuals that lost their homes in Hurricane Katrina and create bizarre, fantasy architectural models as manifestations of their stories, their housing desires, and my own subjective interpretations. I made contact with the interviewees through social networks, not intending to present a comprehensive data set, but rather a sampling of individuals who have similar backgrounds or lifestyles to me, how they are coping and how they would like to frame their experiences.

As the project continued, I became more interested and influenced by the individual points of view and frameworks for understanding their stories and current situations. The results are four pieces illustrating what I considered to be the themes in each person’s story; Organic Architecture, Condensed Timeline, Communication with the Diaspora, and Intersecting Paths.

See below for pictures and desriptions of the four finished pieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home